Monday 14 January 2013

Baking: butternut squash muffins & pantry re-stocking

Baking has been on my 'to do' list ever since Christmas, but other than the breadmaking (that's next week's post!) there hasn't been any baking going on. There's always so much chocolate hanging around after Christmas, not to mention the post-festive pounds, that baking always takes a back seat in January.
 
But I had a butternut squash sat in the banana basket (who knows why) and a Jamie Oliver butternut squash muffin recipe, so I thought: go for it!
Result? Lovely muffins. Very quick and easy to make (since the recipe calls for a processor). But I over-mixed them (blame the food processor's - well, my -inaugural muffin mixing) and they're a little more like cupcakes than muffins. The topping is lovely (sour cream, vanilla seeds and citrus) and almost sugar-less. But the muffins, let me tell you, are sugar-full. I figured I could call them healthy due to the squash but who am I kidding? It's not stopped us eating them though. Especially the two little boys. The Tiny One keeps spotting their container and shouting "cake! cake!" He takes after his mother, that one.
 
If you want to make them, go to Jamie Oliver's 'Jamie at Home' book, page 364, or check out the website here.
On the same morning, once I got into the non-meal-making-still-cooking groove, I also made bread, made soup for lunch and made a double batch of my grandfather's famous apple chutney. It goes fast in this house and is a lovely one to make so long as you have time for all that apple slicing and dicing. I'd give you the recipe but since Poppa's not around any more, I can't ask him for permission and he wasn't the sort of man you'd want to get on the wrong side of! Maybe I'll make you some one day.

1 comment:

  1. They look good, might have to give them a go!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit. Oh you have something to say? Go on then...