Thursday 9 January 2014

Sewing: looking back at Christmas: home-made advent calendar

I sewed a few gifts for Christmas but didn't take any photos. No idea why. I guess I was focused on the giving rather than recording. But I did photograph the new advent calendar I made for the boys. I used a beautiful, Scandinavian-style reindeer decor-weight fabric made by Tiviot Mill. After hemming it and adding a long pocket for the dowel at the top, I cut 24 red felt rectangles and set to work on the pockets.
 
Oh the pockets! This is what I should've done, to spare a lot of time: cut white felt numbers, glue on white felt numbers, done. But I sewed them all on with a zig-zag stitch, used a needle to send all the thread ends to the back, tied and trimmed them. I really like the rustic look of it but, goodness, it was a faff! Each pocket had a Smartie for each boy and a card with a fun 'to do' for the day, such as drink hot chocolate, make a Christmas decoration, visit the Christmas lights, or put up the tree. I'll put up a full list at the end of November 2014 if I remember! The Tiny One, who ought to be called the cheeky one, managed on several occasions to find a chair, drag it to the calendar, and stuff his face with the bottom row of pocket's Smarties. Like mother like son!

1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous, I did a similar thing a few years ago and we get it out each year, so while it was a faff you won't have to do it again. I don't put anything edible in the pockets they can choose something from the tin while supervised as like you I discovered chocolate didn't stay in the pockets!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for coming to visit. Oh you have something to say? Go on then...