Monday 31 December 2012

Turning the page

Hello folks.

Time to turn the page to 2013. I know there are a lot of people out there who aren't into the whole 'new year' thing. I am not one of them. I'm not fussed about the parties, the auld lang syne, the kiss at midnight (though I'd say no to none of them). But I really love a stop and then a start. A chance to assess, give thanks, plan, move on. I know in a sense it's a spurious break in time, but it's one I need. I know I could make a resolution any time, but I don't, and most of us don't. This day forces us to put down tools and plan the next project, the next year. Cheers to the end and the new beginning.
 
My resolution for 2013 is a simple one that will cover so much - if not all - of my life. It is to make myself proud. That's all (that's all!). But if I can hold that thought in my head with every decision I make, I will be better and happier. And so will all around me.
 
I have some plans for the blog too. I hope to return to more regular posting, with a 'making', 'baking', 'wandering' and 'wondering' post each week. We'll see how proud I can make myself on that.
 
As I look back on 2012, the word that comes most readily to mind is 'cherish'. It has been in places a busy year and a hard year. But it has been a year where, as a family, we have cherished one another and become a unit. A year where friends have been held close and gladly. A year where the wider family have meant so much to me, where my blessings have been counted and my heart has clung to them ever tighter. Yet as the year draws to a close, I'm aware of where I have forgotten to cherish or not done so enough. I hope to make myself proud next year by showing the people I love how much they mean to me through the time and thought I can find for them. In 2012 I nearly lost my father. A good friend nearly lost her brother in just the last few days. There can be no taking for granted.

Forget the booze and bonhomie, this New Year is a time when I'm going to reflect and refresh. And plan, plan, plan for those pride-making times ahead.

(Though, in good old contradictory style, I'm now signing off so that I can go next door for some booze and bonhomie with the neighbours!).

Let's make it a Happy New Year everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for coming to visit. Oh you have something to say? Go on then...